5 Reasons America Needs Duck Dynasty

Posted on Updated on

Let me say it loud and clear: America needs Duck Dynasty.  It may be among the most important shows on television.

To some, Duck Dynasty may only seem like a silly reality show.  Its 30 minutes of bearded men making duck calls, drinking sweet tea, hunting and blowing stuff up.  But that’s just what you see on the surface.  If you look more closely, what you will discover is that Duck Dynasty is a biblical show.  I do not mean that it is biblical in the sense that the Robertson family leads a 30-minute Bible study.  What I mean is that Duck Dynasty is a positive example of Matthew 5:13-16:

“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven”.

The Robertson family provides a taste of salt and a glimpse of light for our culture.  In a culture that is tasteless and dark, Duck Dynasty is a show that is well-able to influence us in a positive way.  It has worked its way in among the entertainment world and has the ability to change it from the inside-out.  It is a modern-day Trojan horse that is fulfilling a biblical mandate.

Our culture needs this.  America needs this.  America needs Duck Dynasty.

Let me give you 5 examples of why the show provides salt and light:

1.  Emphasis on Family

There is hardly a show on TV that focuses more upon family.  I’m not talking about a “modern family” or a “new normal” type of family.  I’m talking about true family.  Husbands have wives.  Children have parents.  Grandparents are influences in the grandchildren’s lives.  The family argues together, plays together, works together and lives together.  Each show generally revolves around some minor family conflict.  Yet, no matter how difficult the struggle, the Robertson family always comes back together in the end.

It is greatly refreshing to see men have wives.  Not only do they have wives, but they also love them.  Never in the show do you see one of the Robertson men running after another woman or making comments as if he is unsatisfied in his wife.  Here is a picture of marriage that is between one man and one woman.  America needs that.

The parents also parent their children.  This is true for all generations involved on the show.  Parents who watch the show will see examples of discipline, limitations and love as the Robertson parents are active in the lives of their children.  America needs to see parents being parents.

2.  Work

An important aspect of the show is the family business, Duck Commander.  Here, the Robertson family makes duck calls.  While much of the episode generally shows more play than work in the Duck Commander warehouse, the principles of work are evident.  The Robertsons are financially successful.  They have worked hard and have built a business from scratch.  The men work and provide for their families.  Miss Kay (the matriarch of the family) works hard to provide the needs for her family at home.  With Duck Dynasty, you do not see an example of success without effort.  You do not see government dependence.  You see principles of work.  America needs that.

3.  Clean Humor

For some reason, our culture believes that the only ways to be funny are to use terrible language, make crude sexual references every 5 seconds and to somehow include drinking alcohol with it all.  With Duck Dynasty, you will see none of this.  What you will see is the funniest show currently on television.  You don’t have to worry about the cast of the show dropping a cuss word at the very moment your 5-year-old walks by the TV.  Instead, the show uses humor based upon the personality traits of each character in a way that will be hilarious to anyone watching.  Uncle Si recently explained that he doesn’t go to the doctor because the last time he went, the next thing you know he was back there having open heart surgery!  Couple that with one of the Robertson men getting reprimanded at a Homeowner’s Association meeting for having chickens in his yard and you have a great laugh.  Humor without filth.  America needs that.

A&E Photo Credits

4.  Men are men and women are women.

Most likely, the first thing you’ll notice about the show is that there are a lot of beards.  Big beards.  And not on the women, either.  These beards are reserved for the men.  I know its unbelievable, but the men present themselves as men in the way they look, dress and act.  Likewise, the women present themselves as women in the way they look, dress (modestly I might add) and act.  There is a clear distinction between a man and a woman.  This is a phenomenon you rarely see on television any longer.

The men spend time with the boys teaching them how to be men.  They give them warnings of the dangers that await them in the world, but also encourage them to be distinct in their manhood.  Likewise, the women teach the girls how to grow up and be women.  It seems like it would be natural, but our culture hasn’t seen this clear of a distinction between the genders since Home Improvement in the 1990′s!  Its ok for men to be men and for women to be women.  And America needs to see it.

5.  Public Prayer

The conclusion of each show is always the same; the family is together over a meal and Phil leads his family in prayer.  It is not a silly prayer.  It is a prayer thanking God for what He has done, in Jesus’ name.  Go ahead and Google, “Duck Dynasty Prayer” to see how the simple act of one family praying on TV influences so many.  America needs to see that.

America is quickly rotting from its core.  Very little in entertainment will point you to truth, morality or Jesus.  Even fewer popular avenues of entertainment will give you any of these.  With Duck Dynasty, you do not see TV evangelists.  What you will taste is salt and what you will see is light.  Go ahead and watch for yourselves, Wednesday nights on A&E.

Oh, and men – grow yourselves a beard.

If you enjoyed this article, please like Truth Matters on Facebook

About these ads

48 thoughts on “5 Reasons America Needs Duck Dynasty

Pastor Bradford said:
    November 14, 2012 at 10:02 AM

A Christian Worldview where you least expect it–TV primetime!

[...] 5 Reasons America Needs Duck Dynasty [...]

[...] This blog was written about the show Duck Dynasty.  The author provides evangelical insight into why this popular new show is good for this country.  They are simple points, yet they are true.   http://truthmattersblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/5-reasons-america-needs-duck-dynasty/ [...]

Manly Man said:
    January 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Love the show.

Bob and Phyllis Gates said:
    January 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM

We love this show. Good clean humor. Let’s have more of this kind of TV.

The Bear said:
    January 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM

we must support the show buy duck dynasty stuff tell friends about the show cause they commie left with go after them and try and get them off the air. we must all stand together for good. god bless

Lisa said:
    January 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I LOVE this show.They are great ppl.I live in the south and they make me want to move. To West Monroe, LA. I want to be their neighbors.

Debra said:
    January 21, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I like the show…however, I have only seen one show where at the end they pray “In Jesus’ name”. John 16:22-28 Did the network tell them they couldn’t pray in the name of Jesus in the earlier episodes? If so, why did they agree to do that?

venetia said:
      February 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM

me toooo,,that saddens me,,i only heard it once tooo, inn Jesus name,,why,guys,,why,,please in the new ones dooo,,He is the only way,,and America neeeds that…

Jim Eadg Mahaffey said:
      February 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM

you gotta remember, there are editors cutting up the show after the filming!

Heather said:
      February 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM

They always pray In Jesus’ Name, but A&E edits it out. Phil has said that it’s a compromise they’ve agreed to make in order to let the show air. They feel that the reasons stated above are so important to show America in the rest of the 30 minutes, that they’ve agreed on some compromises they aren’t overly thrilled with. But they do not shy away from their faith, and I don’t think there’s any misunderstanding that they’re Christian and not just “spiritual.”

Eric Douglas responded:
        March 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I was glad to see A&E keep “Jesus” in the prayer from the first episode of season 3.

keith bruner said:
    January 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Ya, we like Duck Dynasty and watch it when a new one shows up in our time frame. I personally think Phil goes a little overboard on some of his remarks about sex with his wife but otherwise it is enjoyable.

Emily Swartz said:
      March 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Perhaps he goes a little overboard, but I do think there is something beautiful in a man pursuing his wife of 50 + years and not every other skirt in the state. I think there is a healthy sense that sex is what God ordained to go on between a husband and wife, and that the enjoyment of that is one of the fruits of living a Godly life. There is a beauty to that, that the world does not appreciate.

Elizabeth o'reilly said:
    January 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I can’t get enough of the show. When its on, our tv is on their show. No filth, just good family viewing. Phil is right on the mark when he says cell phones and video games are not necessary to live life. Can’t wait for march and new episodes. I proudly wear my duck dynasty shirt!

chuck said:
    January 22, 2013 at 9:36 AM

more powerful than all the fake group hug no sin no right or wrong modern money seeking everything goes fake ministers today..bunch of nacholess slick nothing…who will burn…like the one w/ 5 jets..wanted a Gulfstream 4 in order to fly to areas in need of food..how stupid….30-45 million would buy alot of groceries..all the custom exotic cars,homes etc..not saying should not have..but come on..most teach nothing but social stuff..keep that feel good cash a rolling in..mama wanta go snow sking….

5 Reasons America Needs Duck Dynasty - Stormfront said:
    January 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM

[...] [...]

Bill Whittaker said:
    February 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I like the show–but my wife wouldn’t like my beard! I let it grow once for three months until I finished a writing project. It is so refreshing to see good clean humor and family virtues.

Eric Douglas responded:
      February 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I recently shaved mine and felt a little like Samson. I had to grow it back before my preaching got better!

Duck Dynasty is Back, Jack « Truth Matters said:
    February 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM

[...] road or another. To this point, Duck Dynasty has done a better job than any other current show at being salt and light in a culture of darkness. The fame and success from the show is unquestionable. But what season 3 will tell us is whether or [...]

Jasmine said:
    February 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Thanks for recommending this, sounds good, will check Duck Dynasty out.

melody said:
    March 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I have never watched this show, Hear lots of people talking about it on facebook. Guess I need to see for myself.

Eric Douglas responded:
      March 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Melody – you’ve never seen the show?! Your homework this week is to make sure and watch it.

Debbie said:
    March 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM

The show is all and more of what you said. Thank God we still have people that understand about the good way of life and not the trash that is all over the networks.

imconfident said:
    March 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I’ve seen the show a couple of times and I never thought about it being Biblical but you are right. It’s sad that there is little on TV today that is suitable for families – I rarely watch TV anymore because most programs and even commercials are about violence and sex. TV contributes to a lot of problems in our society.

Eric Douglas responded:
      March 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Agreed. The commercials are becoming the worst part of TV anymore.

Michael said:
        April 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM

When DD started in Season 1, it had about one sponsor outside the A&E network, so the commercials were pretty ltd to a hair product…and the same commercial more than once during each show. I’m with you…the commercials NOW appearing on DD keep us at the ready with our remote since we like to watch the show with our kids. Wish there was a way to get A&E to realize this and “tame” these to go with the tone of the show. I get that new sponsors are just making a money grab but wish they’d realize just who is watching. Thankful for DVR at least :)

Eric Douglas responded:
          April 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM

You are right Michael. Thank you for commenting.

Brittany said:
    March 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Absolutely love this article. :)

Olivia said:
    March 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM

My whole family is loving the show! My husband who has always felt like he didn’t know how to share or show his faith is coming around and I truly feel it is because of the example DD is setting. Thanks guys…Keep up the good work!

Eric Douglas responded:
      March 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Olivia – it is an encouraging show. Phil was once called the “Billy Graham” of Duck Hunting because of his heart to share the gospel.

Anne said:
    March 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM

My husband and I look like we belong in the Duck Dynasty family. He has all the hair and beard and I am the modestly dressed lady. We are Christian. Raise chickens and love each other dearly

Eric Douglas responded:
      March 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Great to hear, Anne! Thank you for glorifying God with your lives.

Eileen Mostiler said:
    March 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM

The difference in DD and Myrtle Manor or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, which I’ve only glanced at, are worlds apart. Our pastor even used a video clip of Phil on Sunday.

Jody Little said:
    March 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Very well said! Thank you for writing this article. I know a few people that dont seem to understand the show that need to read this. God Bless!

Eric Douglas responded:
      March 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Thanks, Jody. Feel free to pass it along!

sONIA said:
    March 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Duck Dynasty is my favorite show. The last time I recall watching and enjoying a show this much is when I watched the Walton’s and Little House on the Prairie, as a child. Thank God for giving us this show. I had lost heart because of all of the filth that is everywhere. I sat and watched this with my children and told them that all TV shows use to be this clean in the United States and that filth was banned.

Eric Douglas responded:
      March 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Sonia, I understand exactly what you mean. Thanks for commenting!

Mark Fortenberry said:
    March 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Paint this on the sky for all to see! Fabulous truth. Thank you

Karina said:
    April 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Our small group just started watching season 1 of duck dynasty ….followed by a biblical object lesson. So fun and can always take something positive away from an episode. Love them!

Jeff said:
    June 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Duck Dynasty is the best show on tv!

[…] the second most popular show on cable TV-fits that description perfectly, as others have observed (read truth matters blog here). In a Wall Street Journal article about the show, David McKillop, executive vice president for […]

[…] in good fun and they focus on their family.  I also found a great article online called the “5 Reasons America Needs Duck Dynasty“: emphasis on family, work, clean humor, men are men and women are women, and public […]

My Article Read (3-27-2014) | My Daily Musing said:
    March 28, 2014 at 3:29 PM

[…] 5 Reasons America Needs Duck Dynasty […]

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s